Sunday, November 30, 2008

Faith

Was watching TV again (seems like I've been doing this quite often now). And was wondering again. As one of my nature does. Of religion in general and discrimination. Applying what was being wondered to not only mass media but the view on Christianity in general.

I shall start with a question. Have you ever thought of how when Islam or Buddhism are being criticized in media and in life, people of the religion call it discrimination. Yet when Christianity is mocked or made fun of, it is simply blown to one side and accepted as being socially accepted. E.g. saying 'Jesus Christ' when something bad happens or when someone yells at an unruly behaviour.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Why is it that as Christians we do not stand up for our faith? I myself am guilty of this charge as well. And that we accept of criticism thrown our way and not stand up and defend it. I know that there are many reasons of which could be applied to this as most Christians would jump and say "If a brother slaps one side of your cheek, let him slap the other". However, hear me out first before stoning me =)

So, what exactly is it that I'm trying to make sense of? How is it that we would stand up and defend our nation and country yet we won't stand up and defend our faith? Is our faith like potatoes? Remember, all these are questions of which I myself am reflecting on in terms of being able to apply Christian principles and not forming my own subjective opinions at the same time. No one's perfect.

Yet it boggles my mind that we do stand down and even shrivel up when our faith is being challenged and questioned. I know I am guilty of allowing this to happen to me one too many times and I guess, I am somewhat frustrated. So, do let me know your reflection upon this issue.

O, and another thing. It seems to be harder when it comes with family to talk about religion and faith. In fact, it is more of a hush-hush thing when this happens. Just an additional thought to add to the thought on faith. =)

No comments: